Tuesday 21 January 2014

021/344.....The Alphabet of a Bilingual Child!


And the learning has started!!

It sure is a bit tricky to be teaching a Bilingual Child the Alphabet!
I have been telling her the Alphabet in French, and of course we often sing the "ABC" song in English...
But its letter recognition that I find a challenge!
As "A" for "Apple" is not "A" for "Pomme" (apple in French)...So I do then say a French "A" word.
I confuse myself so I think my hesitations and pauses must be confusing to her too!
Why is "A" for apple not "A" for pomme the same word in different languages???

We have been having quite a few "Why oh Why" questions, but not too many challenging ones yet, and I am not looking forward to this why one...

Its tempting to maybe just stick to the Alphabet in one language, but then does that mean that I would not be trying to teach her to read in French? Should I be pointing out from now that French and English are very different?
Or maybe it can be held off a bit until she actually has more understanding of what the Alphabet actually means....
I am about to face another challenge in what it takes to raise a Bilingual child!!!

What have you done?
What has worked for you?
Any advise for me?

Photobucket

0 commentaires:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...